Vegan Chickpea Curry. Our awesome vegan take on the insanely popular
dish. Ridiculously tasty and nutritious – just look at all that protein,
fibre and iron
- ½ cup basmati rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 pinch salt
- 2 onion (medium)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 clove garlic
- ½ lime
- 1-2 tbsp curry paste (your favourite or a Tikka Masala curry paste would work great as well)
- 1 can coconut milk (1 can = 1.5 cups)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce (try one tbsp first, add another if required)
- 2-3 medium tomatoes (or handful cherry tomatoes, chopped. The sweeter the better ;))
- 1 cup basil, fresh
- 1 tsp maple syrup (sugar is fine too)
- ½ cup sugarsnap peas or broccoli (any green veg you like)
- Add the rice, water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil (could also be done the Indian way from our Buddha Bowls). Keep an eye on the rice – when the water is boiling put a lid on it, reduce the heat to low and cook for another 8-10 mins (or as per packet instructions).
- While this is happening chop the onions, garlic, basil and juice the lime.
- Put the oil and onions into a large pan and cook on a low-medium heat until the onions start to soften and turn clear, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic for a further 1 minute.
- Add 1 tbsp curry paste and the milk, stirring until the curry is dissolved. Add another pinch of salt. Taste test – if you’d like your curry a little stronger then add another tbsp.
- Throw in the drained and rinsed chickpeas (and chopped green veg if you’re using it) and soy sauce, and cook on a medium heat for around 5 minutes, bringing the curry to a boil. If it starts to burn, reduce heat immediately.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped basil, lime juice, soy sauce and gently simmer the curry for another 2 minutes. Taste test again, and if desired add a second tbsp soy sauce and the syrup or brown sugar. Give it another stir.
- The rice should be done by now too – fork it through to make it fluffy.
- Serve the curry and rice together with papadoms and naan bread as optional sides.
- If you liked this recipe: you’ve gotta check out some more chickpea ideas! Here’s our Avocado Chickpea Salad (ready in just five mins!) and the Amazing Chickpea Spinach Salad is so-called for a very good reason. Enjoy!