This Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet is a healthy gluten free meal that is full of flavour and hearty enough to feed your family quickly on busy weeknights!
- 3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ½ cup mozzarella, shredded
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute and then add ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break apart meat and continue cooking approximately 8 minutes until browned.
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir well to incorporate.
- Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add diced sweet potato and water. Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften. Add additional water during this process if needed to keep the meat from drying out.
- Remove lid and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Top with shredded mozzarella and allow it to melt. Remove skillet from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet