Feeding the Family on a Budget: 20 Quick and Delicious Dinners
1. Baked Macaroni and Cheese: This classic dish is always a hit with picky eaters. Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook macaroni according to package instructions. Drain and set aside. In a large bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of butter, 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and 2 cups of milk. Heat over medium heat until thickened. Add 2 cups of shredded cheese and stir until melted. Add macaroni and stir until combined. Pour into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole: This easy casserole is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, mix together 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup of sour cream, 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. In a separate bowl, mix together 2 cups of cooked white rice, 2 cups of cooked chicken, 1 cup of shredded cheese, and 1/2 cup of frozen peas. Pour the soup mixture over the chicken and rice mixture and stir until combined. Pour into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
3. One-Pot Chili Mac: This one-pot meal is sure to be a hit with the whole family. In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add 1 pound of ground beef and cook until browned. Add 1 onion, diced, and 1 bell pepper, diced, and cook until softened. Add 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of kidney beans, 1 can of black beans, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 teaspoon of oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add 1 cup of uncooked macaroni and 1 cup of beef broth. Simmer for 10 minutes or until macaroni is cooked. Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream.
4. Baked Potato Bar: This is a great way to get picky eaters to try new things. Preheat oven to 400°F. Prick 4 large potatoes with a fork and bake for 45 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, prepare toppings such as shredded cheese, bacon, sour cream, chives, and butter. When potatoes are done, cut them in half and let everyone top their own.
5. Quesadillas: Quesadillas are a great way to get picky eaters to try new flavors. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Place a flour tortilla in the skillet and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Top with another tortilla and cook until cheese is melted and tortillas are golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.